Mama Trish Apple Pie With Cheese Recipe
Cheese and Apple Pie
- 6 medium Granny Smith apples
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon sugar
- 2 tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 4 teaspoons fresh lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon grated nutmeg
- Pinch salt
- 1 cup medium cheddar cheese (4 1/2 ounces)
- 1/2-inch cubes
- Prepare your pastry. You will need enough for two pie crusts.2. Wash, slice apples to equal 6 cups worth. Remember slices should be thin.
3. If you are going to add cinnamon and nutmeg, add it to your sugar and set aside.
4. Arrange apples in layers in the bottom of your pie. Sprinkle with sugar mixture as you build layers. Sprinkle with lemon juice and then add cheese.
5. Add the knob of butter (cut into small pieces)
6. Cover with top crust.
7. Place pie on bottom rack in oven and bake (400 degrees) for about 55 minutes.
Apple Pie Story
The pastry that contained the apple pie filling was once referred to as the “coffin” and wasn’t supposed to be eaten at all. It merely held the filling.